I apologize for the length of this message. Please read it completely. There is a lot of information for you regarding the upcoming Spring Opener and our other Club activities. Thank you. JD
On Friday, March 20, 2020, Airstream Club International President Mona Heath sent an email to all Regional Officers indicating the WBAC Executive Committee has recommended local clubs cancel all planned events for the next 60 days or longer as recommended by the CDC.
Our CIAC Spring Opener Weekender at Brown County State Park, May 1-3, is in the 60 day window.
The CIAC Executive Board and I have agreed the Brown County Season Opener should be cancelled. Accordingly, the CIAC “Spring Opener Weekender” at Brown County State Park during the weekend of May 1-3 is regretfully cancelled.
Several CIAC members have indicated they still plan to camp at Brown County State Park during the May 1st weekend. This if fine and the Park is currently open; however this camping will be individual choice and not a CIAC planned activity. Cabin Fever? I understand!
As of today, the Campgrounds in the Indiana State Parks are still open. Just about everything else in the Parks are closed including cabins, inns, meeting rooms, enclosed picnic areas and other facilities. More information on the status of the State Parks is available at https://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/. Follow the link in the COVID-19: DNR Response block for more information.
The Indiana DNR is currently offering penalty-free cancellations for reservations through April 30th. I spoke with a DNR representative this morning, and she did not have any information on extension of that date to cover the May 1-3 weekend. As we get closer to the end of April, I will advise if I find any change to this DNR policy.
The COVID-19 pandemic has also changed many other Airstream-related activities throughout the spring and summer:
- The Loveland, Colorado, 2020 International Rally has been cancelled.
- Alumapalooza 11 (May 26-31) has been postponed to September 8-14, 2020.
- Urban Air/Wake Up Downtown, Logan, Ohio has been postponed to April 29-May 2, 2021.
- The Vanderwielens have requested we cancel the Cookout at their home, scheduled for August 8-9.
These events are still scheduled:
- The Ouabache State Park Weekender – July 24-26.
- The Region Five Rally in Columbus, IN – September 16-20.
- The Swiss Festival National Airstream Rally at Sugarcreek, OH – September 26-October 3.
- All other CIAC events in the fourth quarter of 2020, including the Season Close Weekender at Versailles State Park – October 16-18.
Before this year is over, we may possibly have to make more changes to our schedule. My first concern is the safety of the members of CIAC and nothing we do should put anyone at risk. There will be more opportunities for our Club to camp together. Stay safe.